FAQs about Floor Sanding
Here are some commonly asked questions and answers about floor sanding:
- What is Floor Sanding?
- Floor sanding is a process of removing the top surface of wooden or other hard floors to make them smooth and even. It involves using an abrasive material, such as sandpaper, to scrape away the top layer of the floor in order to create a new finish or look. Floor sanding can be used for both residential and commercial purposes, and it’s often seen as a relatively straightforward DIY task for homeowners looking to spruce up their floors.
- What are the Benefits of Floor Sanding?
- Floor sanding can have many benefits depending on why you’re doing it – from restoring ageing wood surfaces to protecting from harmful bacteria and mould. Sanding can remove surface damage, improve appearance, and increase durability. It also helps to create a smooth surface for a new finish to be applied, ensuring a more even and long-lasting result. Additionally, floor sanding can enhance the overall hygiene of space by removing harmful pathogens that may be present on the surface.
- How often should I sand my floors?
- It is recommended to sand hardwood floors every 10 to 20 years, depending on the amount of wear and tear they receive.
- Can I sand my floors myself?
- Floor sanding can be a difficult and time-consuming task that requires specialized equipment and skills. It is recommended to hire a professional floor sanding company to ensure a high-quality outcome.
- What should I expect during the floor sanding process?
- The floor sanding process typically involves the removal of the old finish, sanding the surface, vacuuming up the dust, and applying a new finish. The entire process can take several days, depending on the size of the area being sanded.
- What kind of finish should I use after sanding my floors?
- There are several options for finishes after sanding, including oil-based, water-based, and wax. The type of finish used depends on personal preference and the type of wood being sanded.
- How long does it take for the sanded floor to dry?
- It can take anywhere from several hours to several days for the new finish to dry completely, depending on the type of finish used and the temperature and humidity of the room.
- How much does it cost to sand a floor?
- The cost of floor sanding varies depending on the size of the area being sanded, the type of wood, and the type of finish used. On average, the cost can range from $3 to $8 per square foot.