The Biggest Trends In Sustainable Products 2022: Sustainable Gardening Products
As the world becomes more aware of the importance of sustainability, people are looking for ways to incorporate sustainable practices into their everyday lives. One area that is seeing a lot of growth in terms of sustainable products is gardening.
Why Sustainable Garden Products?
There are several reasons why sustainable gardening is becoming more popular. For one, people are becoming more aware of the impact their actions have on the environment. They want to do what they can to reduce their carbon footprint and make sure that their gardens are not contributing to pollution or climate change.
In addition, sustainable gardening is often seen as a healthier way to garden. By using organic methods, gardeners can avoid exposing themselves and their families to harmful chemicals and pesticides.
By implementing this guide to sustainable gardening products, gardeners can reduce the amount of water and chemicals they use, which can in return save them money and help the environment.
Trends Favouring The Shift Towards Sustainable Gardening Products
These are some trends that are favouring the shift towards sustainable gardening products.
- The rise of the eco-conscious consumer: As people become more aware of the impact their actions have on the environment, they are increasingly looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint. This is leading to a growth in the number of eco-conscious consumers who are interested in sustainable products.
- The popularity of organic gardening: Organic gardening is becoming more popular as people learn about the benefits of avoiding chemicals and pesticides. This is driving the demand for sustainable garden products that are free from harmful toxins.
- 2021 was a big year for eco-friendly gardening in the UK. A peat ban was announced with until 2024 to phase it out, an organic garden won Gold at the world-renowned British Royal Horticultural Society’s Chelsea Flower Show. Nurseries and gardeners throughout the country are discovering various ways to reduce waste and minimize plastic use.
In 2022, a new plastic packaging tax will be enforced on all packaging with less than 30% recycled content, so the trend for natural, recycled and ethically-sourced materials will continue.
- The rise of the millennial gardener: Millennials are increasingly interested in gardening, and this is leading to a demand for sustainable garden products that are stylish and easy to use.
- The popularity of plant-based diets: Plant-based diets are becoming more popular as people learn about the health benefits of eating less meat. This trend is also driving demand for sustainable gardening products, as people want to be able to grow their own fruits and vegetables.
What Products Are Trending?
There are many different sustainable gardening products on the market today that can help gardeners reduce their impact on the environment. Some of these products include:
- Eco-Friendly Flower Pots
Alternatives to plastics are becoming more popular in almost every aspect of our lives, including gardening. Wood, stone, metal, and terracotta are some of the materials offered as alternatives to plastic flower pots. Flower pots made from recycled ocean-bound plastic are also available, helping to keep the waste out of landfills. Eco-friendly flower pots are also excellent for seedlings.
- Recycled Decking
Decking made from recycled materials is becoming increasingly popular, as it’s a more sustainable option than traditional wood decking. Look for products made from recycled plastic or composite material, which can be just as durable and long-lasting as traditional wood.
- Solar-Powered Garden Lights
These lights are a great way to add some light to your garden without using any electricity. They’re easy to install and maintain, and they’ll help you save money on your energy bill.
- Time-Saving Gadgets
The Royal Horticultural Society expects as post-pandemic life returns to normal, for example with reductions in working from home and people being able to resume normal outdoor socialisation and activities, that any spare time dedicated to gardening will inevitably shrink.
Labour-saving activities and products that provide speedy results are on the rise such as growing kits, pre-planted baskets and troughs, self-watering pots, and battery-powered pruners. With the forecast for all-weather outdoor socialising now looking brighter, you can sit back and enjoy the garden with friends and family as usual.
- Greenhouse Kits
Greenhouses are becoming increasingly popular, as they allow you to grow plants year-round. Look for greenhouse kits that are made from sustainable materials, such as recycled plastic, and that comes with all the necessary supplies to get started.
- Rain barrels and Drip Irrigation Kits
Rain barrels and drip irrigation systems are excellent additions to any eco-friendly garden. Rain barrels not only help protect our most important natural resource but also help decrease water consumption. About a third of water consumption is used for lawns and gardens each year, so rain barrels not only aid in conservation but also assist save money on utility bills.
Finally, sprinklers are 65% to 75% efficient, simple hoses even less so, when it comes to plants utilizing the water supplied, whereas drip irrigation is 90% efficient, according to the University of Rhode Island’s Water Quality Program.
As we move into an era where sustainability is more important than ever, it’s no surprise that gardening products are trending towards being more eco-friendly. From recycled materials in gardening plant pot products to solar-powered lighting, there are many ways to make your garden more sustainable and help conserve our natural resources. We hope you’ll consider using some of these products in your own garden this year.